Travel lovers are, sadly, the more than likely targets for pickpockets all over the world. Whether true or not, pickpockets typically view vacationers as rich, making vacationers a first-rate alternative in a pickpocket’s thoughts. For vacationers, falling sufferer to a pickpocket can rapidly flip the journey of a lifetime right into a dreadful ordeal. A latest research by money.co.uk reveals the highest 10 locations vacationers are more than likely to be pickpocketed. Below are the highest 10 locations to be in your guard primarily based on whole Tripadvisor critiques that point out pickpocketing and what you are able to do to reduce your probabilities of changing into a sufferer.
1) Las Ramblas pedestrian walkway – Barcelona, Spain
- 3,271 Reviews point out pickpockets.
- Barcelona is understood to have many pickpockets, and this well-known walkway is likely one of the foremost hotspots.
- There was a median of 12 robberies each hour in 2018 in Barcelona.
2) Eiffel Tower – Paris, France
- 2,569 Reviews point out pickpockets
- Paris, and the Eiffel Tower particularly, is understood to have a big variety of pickpockets and avenue scams.
- In 2015, there was even a temporary shutdown of the Eiffel Tower as staff staged a walkout to protest the surge of pickpocket gangs within the space.
3) Trevi Fountain – Rome, Italy
- 2,206 Reviews point out pickpockets
- According to legend, in the event you toss a coin within the Trevi Fountain, you’ll return to Rome. This results in virtually $1.7 million price of cash collected yearly, which fits to charity. Naturally, a pickpocket views the world as a possibility to steal cash and pickpocket guests.
4) Charles Bridge – Prague, Czech Republic
- 1,081 Reviews point out pickpockets
- Like the Trevi Fountain, Charles Bridge has its personal ritual. Touching the statue of St. John of Nepomuk on the bridge will convey you good luck and ensure you return to Prague. Pickpockets see this space as an effective way to distract you whereas they try and steal your trip cash.
5) Sacré-Cœur – Paris, France
- 914 Reviews point out pickpockets
- This church presents some improbable views of Paris, however avenue scammers and pickpockets are lining the doorway and the stroll as much as the primary constructing.
6) Colosseum – Rome, Italy
- 666 Reviews point out pickpockets
- Every yr, over 6 million individuals go to the Colosseum. This makes it a hotspot for pickpockets who reap the benefits of the crowds and distractions.
7) Old Town Square – Prague, Czech Republic
- 646 Reviews point out pickpockets
- The central sq. of the historic part of Prague, Old Town Square, is likely one of the high sights within the capital metropolis. The astronomical clock, particularly, is a go-to web site for vacationers. Its reputation with vacationers additionally makes it well-known for pickpockets.
8) Louvre – Paris, France
- 598 Reviews point out pickpockets
- The Louvre is likely one of the high sights in Paris, welcoming over 9 million individuals per yr. As such, it’s a widespread spot for pickpockets. Just just like the Eiffel Tower, employees on the Louvre have staged walkouts prior to now to protest the more and more daring pickpockets within the space.
9) Notre-Dame Cathedral – Paris, France
- 408 Reviews point out pickpockets
- This world-famous cathedral welcomes 30,000 individuals a day. As with many different locations on this checklist, a vacationer magnet like this additionally attracts pickpockets.
10) Sagrada Família – Barcelona, Spain
- 407 Reviews point out pickpockets
- An architectural masterpiece, Sagrada Família, is one other vacationer vacation spot with its fair proportion of pickpockets. 4.5 million individuals go to this web site yearly, making it a perfect spot for thieves.
So What Can You Do?
The variety of critiques that point out pickpockets appears excessive sufficient to fret when visiting the above areas. Still, there are a number of precautions you may take to minimize your chances of becoming a victim.
- For males, don’t put on your pockets in your again pocket. Pickpockets are likely to keep away from entrance pockets, buttoned pockets, and zippered pockets. If you can’t safe your pockets extra, make certain by no means to hold greater than you may afford to lose.
- Don’t frequently faucet your pockets to see in the event you nonetheless have your whole gadgets; this tells pickpockets precisely the place to search out them.
- For ladies, don’t carry your pockets inside your purse. Instead, go for a zippered pocket if doable.
- Leave costly jewellery at house, and don’t carry costly designer gadgets. These set you aside as a goal.
- When visiting high-traffic areas, be further cautious. Be looking out for lone pickpockets in addition to pickpockets that work in teams. A typical rip-off to be careful for is youthful individuals in a bunch of three or 4 strolling round making an attempt to get signatures for a petition. While they distract you together with your signature, your view is obstructed out of your weak pockets.
- Most importantly, don’t let the specter of pickpockets hold you from having fun with your self! If you might be sensible and keep cautious when wanted, your probabilities of being pickpocketed are minimal.
↓ Join the group ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s taking place day by day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your e-mail handle to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox
Disclaimer: Current journey guidelines and restrictions can change with out discover. The determination to journey is finally your accountability. Contact your consulate and/or native authorities to verify your nationality’s entry and/or any modifications to journey necessities earlier than touring. Travel Off Path doesn’t endorse touring in opposition to authorities advisories